Who we are
Herbalists Without Borders, Bristol, is a collaboration between clinical herbalists, community herbalists, herb growers, and local migrant support projects. We are a branch of Herbalists Without Borders UK and affiliated with international Herbalists Without Borders.
Illustration by Amani Omejer
Where we came from
Setting up the clinic is a deeply rooted act of resistance against an unjust global political system that has created such unjust borders, as well as the government’s introduction of the Immigration Act 2016, which exacerbates the already extreme difficulties refugees and asylum seekers are facing.
Homelessness, unstable housing, poverty, loneliness and social isolation, whilst living in a constant state of uncertainty regarding their future and asylum status, are just some of the challenges that people who have fled their homes face daily. Living in such stressful conditions greatly impacts their health and wellbeing, by creating high levels of anxiety and trauma. We often see this as chronic insomnia, chest infections, digestive issues and low immunity, as well as other more complex conditions.
We believe that herbal medicine is an important part of any healthcare system and can have profound effects individually, as a community, and in wider society. We hope that this project can be accessed at various different points such as growing herbs, local herb walks or self care workshops and all of these can play a vital part in improving health and wellbeing.
What we do
We currently organise:
- A mobile dispensary for common ailments, such as: insomnia, anxiety, coughs and low immunity. This dispensary is taken to existing support projects in the city.
- A free herbal clinic where people needing more in-depth support can access one-on-one consultations with trained herbalists.
- Harvesting of herbs from local growing projects grown by/with migrants
Where we want to be
- We want to expand to include asylum seekers and refugees in the organising group of the project.
- Run self-care workshops that aim to improve general health and wellbeing, and teach basic herbal medicine.
If you are interested in starting a branch of Herbalist Without Borders UK where you live, please get in touch. We hope that the project becomes something that is able to be replicated by herbalists throughout the UK, establishing an even wider network of Herbalists Without Borders.
Photos by Shelly Abrahams